Hispania was built for the King of Spain, Alfonso XIII, in 1909 to compete in the 15 metre class racing.
International 15m Class, Hispania
After her racing career ended she retired to the East Coast of England where she became a houseboat in a mud berth in West Mersea for many years. In the 90’s she was rescued from her berth and transported to Fairlie Restorations to await restoration. The project finally began in 2004 when Fairlie began work restoring the hull and deck structure of the yacht for it's owners, 'La Fundación Hispania'. Paul Spooner and Fairlie's design office also supplied designs for the spars, rig fittings, deck arrangement and deck fittings to be used by Astilleros de Majorca in the next stage of the restoration.
The Hull was re-floated in February 2006 and transported by ship to Astilleros de Majorca in Palma who carried out the fit out, engineering and rigging. Fairlie Restorations was also responsible for the restoration of 2 other 15m Class yachts; The Lady Anne and Tuiga.
The 19m class Mariquita was designed by William Fife and launched from the Fairlie yard in 1911, as yard number 595.
Lulworth was launched as Terpsichore in 1919 and took part in the resurgence of Big Class racing in Britain after WWI.
International 8m Class
Designed by Sparkman and Stephens in 1937.
Jap was built by Carrigaloe Boatworks in 1897. She was one of eight or so yachts designed by Fife as the ‘Cork Harbour One Design’ for a syndicate of local businessmen in Cork.