Lulworth was launched as Terpsichore in 1919 and took part in the resurgence of Big Class racing in Britain after WWI.
She is best known for racing against Britannia in the '20's and '30's, before finding retirement as a houseboat on the River Hamble. She was purchased and taken to Italy in the 1990’s and restoration finally started in Viareggio in early 2001.
When restoration work began at Cantiere Darsena the project manager, Giuseppe Longo, approached Fairlie Restorations for advice and technical support. Fairlie's design office, led by senior naval architect Paul Spooner, was then employed as design consultants for the project.
Aspects covered included:
Overseeing the removal of hull distortion, re-fairing lines and preparing lines plan.
All structural work, including full structural drawings and calculations. This included redesign of areas of the structure affected by modern engineering requirements.
Engineering and systems arrangements. Most of these were not present originally. They have been added as sympathetically as possible.
Steering and anchoring arrangements.
New keel (her original had been removed for war munitions). The new keel had to correct changes in trim and stability caused by new engineering systems.