The 19m class Mariquita was designed by William Fife and launched from the Fairlie yard in 1911, as yard number 595.
The 19 Metre Class was acclaimed as the finest of the big yacht racing classes in the years leading up to the First World War and Mariquita holds a very distinguished racing record within the class. The yacht continued racing in the twenties and was part of the fleet of large yachts that gathered around Britannia to re-establish the Big Class racing after the war.
Decommissioned in the 1930’s, Mariquita spent nearly 60 years on the Suffolk coast as a houseboat. Restoration work began in October 2001, when she was moved into Fairlie Restoration's shed, with the design and naval architecture carried out by Paul Spooner in his capacity as Senior Naval Architect of Fairlie. The composite (steel and timber) hull structure was restored first and she was then craned onto her lead keel. Mariquita's original mahogany interior was painstakingly restored and refitted and an entirely new rig was designed and built with reference to her original drawings held in the William Fife Archive. Her decks were then re-laid and original and replica deck fittings bolted down.
Mariquita was re-launched in April 2004 and went on to race very successfully in the Mediterranean Classic Regattas where she remains today.
Lulworth was launched as Terpsichore in 1919 and took part in the resurgence of Big Class racing in Britain after WWI.
International 15m Class, Hispania
Hispania was built for the King of Spain, Alfonso XIII, in 1909 to compete in the 15 metre class racing.
International 8m Class
Designed by Sparkman and Stephens in 1937.
Jap was built by Carrigaloe Boatworks in 1897. She was one of eight or so yachts designed by Fife as the ‘Cork Harbour One Design’ for a syndicate of local businessmen in Cork.